Name:
Location: Montreal, Canada

Most of the time I'm pretty nice.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

2004 - A time to remember

Season's Greetings and Happy New Year!

Alas, 'tis that time once again to reach out and send many heartfelt wishes to my dearest friends and family. For me, the holiday season is always an opportunity to look back over the past year and see how life's challenges, successes and failures, have shaped my on-going existential adventures.

2004 started off with blissful funemployment. My most strenuous daily activities mainly consisted of driving Charles to and from school, and finding new locations to manage my favorite duty: sending e-mail jokes. Following last year’s epiphany to switch careers, I enrolled in 2 courses – Reflexology and an intensive in foot care. Reflexology is an alternative medicine in which pressure is applied to certain parts of the feet in order to promote relaxation and healing elsewhere in the body. The best thing about taking that course was studying with my Mom. It was wonderful to not only see her take the plunge in exploring new interests, but also finding productive things to do during her retirement. Learning a new vocation together was truly an unforgettable experience.

The weekend course was more of a challenge because it was given completely in French. We were a small group, just 8 of us in the class, and to my surprise none spoke any English except me. The teacher was well organized and very encouraging – probably one of the top five teachers I have ever had. Although, I managed to do very well it’s almost too bad I was not in a more conducive atmosphere. One time the girl sitting next to me asked what some of the terminology was in English, which I imagine was for my benefit. The teacher plainly replied she didn’t know and didn’t care; having worked in foot care for the better part of 19 years, she had the luxury of choosing her clientele, which means nothing but French feet for her. It’s hard to know how to joke with someone you really like, but is so openly anti-Anglo. The course was nonetheless extremely rewarding not only because I learned a new skill, but because it was secretly empowering to see this handful of women, each at a different phase in their lives, take a gamble on changing careers while having other responsibilities like children and day jobs. It makes you believe that sometimes it’s true – anything is possible.

For our summer vacation, Charles and I decided to go to Maine. After last year’s Cape Cod triumph, it’s easy to see how anything might pale by comparison but we were up for a new adventure. We were not, however, prepared for cold rainy weather. 2004, by all accounts, was wet worldwide and the weather in Maine was no exception. Our week of camping in Bass Harbor started off with a million hour drive on a 20 miles per hour speed limit road through Vermont and New Hampshire (interstate 2). We managed to set up our tent by the light of the car’s headlights and woke up in a puddle of torrential rain. Thius was the beginning of our vacation which was highlighted overall by a daylong trip to the local laundromat to dry everything we own (sleeping bags included), the picturesque seashore of Mount Desert Island, watching the fog literally roll in (unbelievable!!), gueetar playin’ n’ singin’ tunes by a toasty campfire, going to see Stephen King’s house in Bangor, and the best lobster dinner known to mankind. Nearby Bar Harbor is very nice but crawling with mostly pubescent gangs of giggly girls who call each other on their cell phones ever 2 minutes. Thanks, but I’ll pick rainbow-colored Provincetown over this scenario any day.

In a quest to discover more exciting venues, we drove around quite a bit. One particular day, our exploration of Maine led us to Augusta, the state capital. Well, things weren’t turning out very well since Sunday in those parts is *gasp* the sabbath, ergo nothing is open. Not even the public library. Following a kind stranger’s suggestion we took a half-minute drive east and discovered a little jewel on the Kennebec River named Hallowell. Hallowell is the smallest city in the United States, with just over 2000 people. Charles and I enjoyed an unforgettable day of antiquing and conversing with eccentric Americans, the most memorable of which is a man named Tim Plummer.

In his store of antique toy soldiers and train sets, Tim had a map of North America and promptly stuck a pin in Montreal after we answered his anti-Bush survey. We left the store with a copy of his book of anecdotes of Hallowell and its people. It’s full of stories that make you laugh out loud, like the time Tim put up a “Summer Madness Sale, Everything 50% More” sign… He tells: A lady came in and asked about a table marked $150 what would the sale be now? Without batting an eye I said $225. She looked a little taken aback. I told her to go read the sign again. On the back counter I had a sign that read, “Prizes Given for the Most Stupid Remark of the Month”. A lady looked at the sign, and then asked, What is the prize? I looked back at her in amazement and said, I don’t know yet, but you win. […] Directly across from my shop in the open space there was a federal HUD sign saying something like, working for you, JOBS FOR YOUR COMMUNITY… Over the word JOBS on the sign in the same color script and size I painted the word BLOW (and replaced it in its original position). It stayed there for the rest of the summer. Now that’s our kind of guy! Thanks Tim. You made our day.

Two big things happened in 2004. After I finished my studies, I started working for a podiatrist downtown. It’s been hugely rewarding thus far not only because of the work (you won’t believe some of the feet I have seen!!), but also because of the people I work with. It is a joy to come into work each day because of them. AND – my sister had a baby! Yes, I am an Aunt and I just love little Sheyla so much, I cannot even begin to tell you how beautiful and special she is. The whole family has embraced this little soul who captures our hearts effortlessly. We’re in for big trouble, that’s for sure.

In the world of Charles, production plans for his movie are constantly in stop-and-go mode, not unusual and pretty much expected after years of inching towards the big screen. In January, he was featured on the cover of the Arts & Life section of the Montreal Gazette and is now listed on the IMDB website. In the meantime, he is in the final stretch of his Masters degree and works as a guidance counselor at Lindsay Place High School in Pointe-Claire. Although this particular internship may not have been his first choice, he has truly embraced working with the kids and he has obviously made an impact in the kids’ lives and their attitudes towards counseling. In a field where 98% of counselors are female, seems like having a guy on the team is really what the doctor ordered. Young men need someone they can turn to and feel like they are understood. Charles is that guy for them. And the girls like him too. He’s really something.

Other 2004 highlights: Seeing Sting & Annie Lennox, Nightwish, and Sarah McLachlin in concert; watching American Idol winner Fantasia sing Summertime; the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. 2004 was also the year my first high school friend got married, I took my first yoga class, and my cat died. She was my best friend in the years when I felt no one understood me and I will treasure her memory always.

So here we are, 2005 at last! I have a feeling it is going to be a good one so please take care of yourselves – broken bodies and hearts are already on the mend. Jubilation and peace are just ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home