Name:
Location: Montreal, Canada

Most of the time I'm pretty nice.

Friday, October 02, 2009

Goodbye 2008! Thanks for the memories!

January 4, 2009

And so another year has already begun. As I have done for the last few years, I look forward to reflecting on the year's events as I send out my best wishes to all my good friends and loved ones. Whereas I have often written pages and pages of my adventures and trials, this year will undoubtedly be a much shorter exposé due to the very real fact that I have a rambunctious, delicious baby who is now literally just beginning to stand on her own two feet.

2008 was a dream of a year, rife with plenty of new experiences as a new mom, and now as a new employee - yes, I am officially back in the work force! I happily completed my maternity leave, enjoying every moment of Selina's first year of life, even if I was a bit of a worry-wart over whether she was eating enough or sleeping enough (goodness knows I didn't sleep enough).

Being so baby-fied, sadly I have had less time for get-togethers and one my most favourite past-times: e-mailing. Still, earlier in the year, I was able to reconnect with some old elementary school classmates who I haven't seen since 1983. I was even talked into giving a graduation ceremony speech for this year's Priory graduates 25 years after my own elementary school graduation. In May, I went to my 20th high school reunion where once again the turnout was so poor, I finally came to the realization that I really don't need to attend any more of these pointless reunions. I am already in touch with all the classmates and friends I care about.

Having been off work since June 2007, you'd think I'd have a harder time adjusting to my re-entry into the work force. Surprisingly, I was not only eager to take a bite out of my new job with Service Canada (good-bye lousy paying/no benefits job, hello sweet paying government job) but I think I may have finally found the perfect place for me; a job where most of my work-gained talents are seamlessly rolled into one. Fortunately, I was able to complete all the government interviews and exams during the year I was pregnant so thankfully there was a job waiting for me once my maternity leave was over.

To be sure, working for the government is definitely a more structured environment - no time for frivolous e-mailing, no sneaking out for executive lunch hours, no habitual traipsing in at 9:10 a.m.... But I do get regularly scheduled breaks and lunch times (much unlike my time working at the clinic), and I have a baby to go home to so I haven't gone out for a good ol' 5 à 7 in ages. Shockingly enough, I haven't missed them as much.

So far, the most notable difference between working in the public versus private sector was the Christmas party. Unlike the fancy dinners and open bar I so enjoyed while on the corporate scene, this year my partying consisted of a festive get-together in the office lunch room from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. with an array of cheese, bagels, yogurt and fruit to enjoy. Not to mention the joyous holiday gift of Tupperware (don't laugh - I love Tupperware!). It was perhaps not as lavish as the parties of yore forever burned in my "good times" file, but you can never beat a gathering of happy friendly co-workers, no matter where you are.

I was not the only one who was on the learning end of work experiences. Charles too had a few new adventures in the realm of psychology.
Continuing to build his private practice, this year Charles was engaged by the family courts to conduct several parental capacity assessments subsequently involving court appearances. (Yes, my baby had to give expert witness testimony just like you see on Law and Order!) Although the idea of appearing in court as an expert in his field was enticing, having to deal with criminally negligent parents and "white collar psychopaths" ultimately turned him off.

Beyond that, Charles' biggest, most gigantic task this year has been taking care of Selina while I am going to or coming from work. He is the ultimate champ, being the one to feed, change, dress, and prepare her for daycare in my absence. My first few days coming home after work, Selina would screech with excitement when I walked through the door. As the weeks went by, her desperate euphoria subsided. Spending all this added time with her daddy has brought them closer together and it fills me with such contentment knowing she is in the best of hands.

Selina continues to impress us with her developing personality. She only recently learned how to frown when showing her palpable displeasure
- it's just so cute! Equally cute are her four visible teeth, her giggle, and the way she says 'ha-whoa' into the phone, or tv remote. When she meets people, she looks them right in the eye. She has a penchant for dogs - the bigger the louder her squeals. And she is a Habs fan through and through. Charles and I took her to a pre-season training session at a local arena where we had the opportunity to see our favourite team show their stuff. Selina may have been the tiniest fan, but she clapped and cheered as fervently as any other.

This probably might sound like a boring, superfluous statement, but oh my god, has my life changed since I became a parent! How can it be possible that such a tiny being can take up so much of my time?? I think I must have read half a dozen books searching for some kind of assurance I was doing the right thing - especially when she came down with her first bout of gastro (Mom, if I never said it before, you truly are a saint for having raised 3 kids. There was no way I could have ever been prepared for so much vomit and liquid poop!)

Perhaps the biggest revelation of all was feeling a wave of sheer joy and love at seeing Selina dance. Without being taught or prompted, one day Selina just started to dance with a simple rocking of her shoulders, a tilt of her head, and a shake of her teeny booty. Knowing that this being we created is able to enjoy music is truly the most magical feeling I have ever experienced. I simply cannot wait to see what else she has in store for us.

Finally, I leave this last paragraph to share something that has grown especially dear to me this year: my blossoming relationship with my sister, Carolina. She has been absolutely amazing. I totally look forward to creating even more wonderful memories with her and her daughter, Sheyla.

Et voila, another year under my belt. Wishing you all health and happiness for the year to come and beyond!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home